Wednesday, January 30, 2013

An Unhappy Consequence of Happy Pills


"Some SSRIs Tied to Heart Rhythm Problems"


So reads the headline from my MedPage Today email update.

Ahhhh...the treatment of depression is one of my favorite topics in light of my knowledge surrounding nutrient deficiencies, especially Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D. These pills are handed out like virtual medical candy through all age groups, both in the office and at the hospital. 

My particular concern with this is how many criticially ill and chronically debilitated are started on antidepressants of all sorts. Citalopram and Lexapro have been used much in recent years, especially for the elderly. I will admit, I have not read any studies, just have noted it has become more "popular" in review of patient medlists, and is generally available on hospital formularies. I suspect it has something to do with pharmaceutical companies providing "deals" to Medicare and Medicaid, but that is also one of my completely biased opinions with no ground in research, but based on what I have seen before. (I invite you to investigate and let me know if I am right or wrong - I simply don't have the time...)

Many families request that grandma or grandpa be started on "something", to help with their "motivation" or "appetite", in complete oblivion that there are substantial side effects to any medication that is added to their regimen. Insurance companies frown upon testing for nutrient deficiencies, and often simply won't pay for an inexpensive nutritional supplement (that potentially addresses multiple health issues), in favor of paying for an "approved" pharmaceutical product that is much more expensive. Those same insurance companies then happily pay even more out when grandma or grandpa have their cardiac arrhythmias and need yet a few more medications to counter that, in addition to the extensive (and sometimes invasive) testing that goes along with the "work up" of a new problem. 

Physicians often do not have the time to comb through medication lists to identify potential triggers of new cardiac complications (or even worse, lack the knowledge to do so) and thus just treat the new symptom as an unfortunate complication of a patient's age or other medical conditions...with another pill that likely has as many or more risk factors. I have seen a number of hospitalized patients present with or develop new onset arrhythmias and QT prolongation - and it only took about 30 minutes of my time with the first patient I saw, to find out that SSRIs, among other things, can cause this. The information is neatly nestled in the drug information packaging, and readily available to any practitioner should they desire to look. 

The link to the full article in the British Medical Journal:

I think we all know deep in our hearts that throwing antidepressants around callously is not going to make anyone "happier"...there is usually a good biological or psychological reason for someone's "depression"...
Let's take a little time to uncover that reason and treat IT instead...


No comments:

Post a Comment